Friday, August 4, 2006

Followup on Some of Your New AOL Strategy/Free Plan Questions

Hi folks -- just following up on my entry yesterday about the New AOL strategy.

Some folks are having a hard time wrapping their heads around this; it's understandable, since it's a pretty different way of doing things for us (which is kind of the point), so here it is again:
  • If you connect to the Internet through someone else (by using cable, DSL, or another dialup provider), you can get the AOL service for free.

    This is the same AOL service that you already know. Same software. Same storage. Same screen name. Same Journals.

    You can keep using the AOL client software; if you use AOL.com for some stuff (like Webmail), you can do that; if you use both the AOL software and AOL.com, you can do that, too. Basically, you can keep doing what you're already doing.

    The only things that aren't included are things that are already premium services (like say, AOL Call Alert) -- also,  24/7 live customer help is not included (this includes telephone, e-mail and live chat support -- if you switch to the free plan, you won't get live help, though you can still get the help docs at help.aol.com).

    For current members, think of it this way: Take everything you do today with AOL. Subtract the bill and live help. That's what the new free plan is.

  • This is new since yesterday -- because you demanded it, you can now change your plan online -- you don't have to do it via phone. Just can go to Keyword: Change Plan (AOL in-client link only); you'll see a screen that looks like this:

    AOL Change Plans Screen -- in-client link only
    Keyword:
    Change Plan (AOL in-client link only)

  • Journaler Joseph Manna, who just happens to work in Member Services, has a few good entries of his own talking about what this all means (he's the guy who told me about the Change Plan keyword), including what other plans are available (there's an unlimited dialup+live help plan for $9.95, and a low-usage plan for $4.95 [you have to talk to Billing for the low-usage plan]), etc.

    Check out his blog, Happenings.

    (That means go bug him.)


  • Update: UK Journaler Pharmolo (of Northern Trip) and CA Journaler (that's Canada, not California) Plittle (of Aurora Walking Vacation) remind me to remind you that all this stuff about the New AOL and the free plan only applies currently to US AOL folks. I am not sure what the plan is for International, since those are all separate businesses. Apologies for being unclear -- it's my nationalist point of view talking.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Thanks -- Joe

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Free AOL does not include live 24/7 customer service ON THE PHONE.  Live customer service online does not help if you cannot access your account ONLINE in the first place.  Secondly,  AOL makes it extremely difficult to FIND the 800 numbers when you need them, and then they keep changing them.  Best strategy when calling AOL is to remain completely silent and let the AOL "helper" talk itself to death.  Eventually it will let you talk to a real person.  Last point is that $9.95 per month is more than I was paying for AOL during my all in one plan that I recently signed up with my phone company and AOL cooperating to give me a lower rate in order to get me to switch from my former DSL provider.  (A long and laborous process I would not want to repeat and for which I would have to pay huge fees to both the phone company and to AOL for backing out of in less than one year's commitment.)  By calling AOL today, I was able to renegotiate my service for $4.95 per month for a 12 month commitment, after that it goes to a monthly commitment.  For that $4.95 fee I get 10 hours of dial up service per month in case my DSL quits and also 24/7 phone support in case I can't get online to get tech support.  Everyone else should stand up and demand no less.  Don't make them squeeze $9.95 and month out of you--that's highway robbery!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
  As far as I know, this change is currently in the USA only. At least it does not apply to my account here in Canada.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

General point, Joe: could make it clear whether or not any changes that AOL makes apply to the UK (and other countries outside the USA) as well. I understand this "free AOL" offer is not applicable in the UK.

Anonymous said...

Another difference between BYOA and the free plan is that you don't get 10 hours of dialup with the free plan.  I was so glad I got to keep my FTP space though!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Joe, that was very helpful.  I made the switch today.

Robin

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe.  I took this screen name at work many years ago, one of the 5 available on the plan.  Can I still use it in the Free AOL?  Is it hard to switch it off of boss's list of 5 or do I even need to?
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Some basic basics, Jo, for the dim-witted amon us:
"....if you use both the AOL software and AOL.com....  What is the difference between these two?  Describe each briefly.  Thanks.

Anonymous said...

elleme2,
  AOL.com is a web page. Anyone can visit it using any web browser and internet service. The AOL software is what comes on the CD, and you install on your computer, which allows you to access the AOL environment, and access AOL features that are exclusive to members.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to change AOL for free.  I was trying to get the page open from "Billing" keyword and it wouldn't let me, kept telling me that the page was "unavailable", so this helped me a great deal!  Thanks for all that you do Joe!
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sharon -- I don't know the specifics of your account, so I can't answer for sure -- you'll probably have to speak to someone in Member Services.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)