Monday, April 16, 2007

Weathering the Storm; Plus Shootings at Virginia Tech

Hi folks -- hope all you Northeasterners are weathering the, um, nor'easter okay.

Down here in the DC area, we had a very moist weekend, and it's pretty darn windy right now (Fairfax County schools are closing 3 hours early because of it), but it hasn't been nearly as bad as, say, New York City, which is getting drenched.)

However, I was just looking on the AOL.com main page to see the status of the rain up north (about 8 inches in Central Park), when I saw the lead about the mass shootings at Virginia Tech today; current reports say that at least 20 people are dead, which is nuts.

I'd called my mom a few minutes ago to see whether the house was floating away or not, and I was wondering why she was saying something about school shootings.

Virginia Tech is in Blacksburg, about 250 miles away from here. A lot of folks around here are alumni or have family at Tech, so my thoughts are with them as we get more info.

(I remember back in 1999; when Columbine happened, I was working on the AOL.com home page. That was also not a good day.)

On the social media side of things, the CNN story reports that:
"The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an
Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus."
I also expect a lot of cell phone camera photos and video, as well as eyewitness accounts and blogging and other social media and citizen journalism behavior as people try to figure out what happened.

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cowkrer did hear from her sister, a student at Va Tech, who is fine but has yet to reach many of herfriends.   It's scary......   DD's school is one of the ones in Monkey County to be closed today for lack of electric.  

Anonymous said...

I should have some good storm pictures up in a few hours. I just got home from a day o' storming.

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/monponsett/HighAboveCourtside/entries/2007/04/16/iiiii-got-struck-by-the-lightning-and-the-thunder/1740

Anonymous said...

yeah, well, we here in jersey had three entire towns compltely under water and half the houses in the county down.  BEAT THAT!