Monday, April 23, 2007

Make Like a Tree and ... Get Planted?

So as I mentioned earlier, I was heading over to grab some lunch today, when I saw a line of folks headed to the parking lot:

My curiousity piqued, I followed them. (It was also a chance for me to try out the camera on my new phone, especially since I didn't feel like walking back to get my camera.)

When they started handing out shovels, I eventually put two and two together, and figured out that it was a bunch of employees volunteering their lunch breaks to plant trees on campus for Earth Day:

So, I walked a little around campus to take a few pics.

Some folks were dressed appropriately for the occasion:

And other folks... weren't:

There was much mulch:

And there was also moving of shrubbery:

Not to mention filling of holes:

Now, the cynics among us may see this as an easy way for the company to get free landscaping, though I think that's completely off base. (Especially since, after watching some of the planting, I get the feeling that they're going to have to call in some genuine arborists and landscapers to fix things up ... But it's the thought that counts.)

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There's two kinds of people in this world, Tuco... those with loaded cameras, and those who dig."

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

So where was your shovel? LOL. Your phone camera makes great pictures. Best ones I have seen made with a camera phone. Helen

Anonymous said...

So, did you get permission from people to post publically your shots of their, um, backsides bent over?  Yep, great thought and spirit:)   Good example for other companies to consider.  Or, better yet, if building a new building, don't tear down all the trees and vegetatian already there; some trees are quite high and yet get clear-cutted and wee saplings put in their place.  Not an option for AOL as the buildings are all in place already, of course.  nice idea, nice photos:)

Anonymous said...

That is really great... the power of people...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Very nice!  
This is just a thought (you knew I'd have something to say), why do they have to kill that patch of grass to plant a tree?  Isn't that counterproductive to what Earth Day is all about?
Just being a smart-youknowwhat.
I watered my plants, that was my contribution.  

Anonymous said...

a shrubbery..heh


http://2writehands.blogspot.com