Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Update on Inability to Create New Journals After Deleting Old Ones

Hi folks -- here's an excerpt of a mail I sent to a few people who were having a very specific problem creating new Journals after they'd deleted an old one. The Journals team looked at the database and identified everyone who had this problem, though if you think you're still having this problem, please let me know:

**********************************

Sorry for the blind e-mail. If you don't know me, I'm
Joe, the AOL Journals Editor. I do the Magic Smoke blog and help
program the AOL Blogs main page.


Previously, some of you folks had reported problems creating new AOL
Journals after deleting existing ones. This is what you were seeing:


1. You deleted an existing AOL Journal

2. You were then unable to create new AOL Journals, getting an error message screen.

3. An additional symptom of this problem was that your public list page
(http://journals.aol.com/YOUR_SCREENNAME), which displays all of your
publicly-available Journals, was no longer working.


The Journals team finally figured out why this was happening, and by
looking in the database, identified a few other people who'd had this
problem (all of you blind copied on this mail). So that's why you're
getting this mail.


Since it's been a while since the problem was first reported, you may
have moved over to other screen names or blogs by now. But if you're
interested in creating Journals under the screen name that I'm writing
to, you should be able to now. Please let me know if you're unable to
do so.


Now, if you're interested as to why this happened, the cause was the
"All About Me" sections of your blogs. They're basically really skinny
Journal entries, and they can hold up to 25,000 characters of HTML
text.


Now, the larger entries are treated a little differently in the
Journals database -- they're "extended entries" in the database, and
they're broken down and stored in separate chunks).


If you wrote above a certain length in your All About Me (but still
under the 25K limit), and later tried to delete your Journal, this
caused a problem in the database that caused the problem trying to
create new Journals.


(If you recall, the All About Me character limit was raised to 25,000
characters just over a year ago
-- we didn't realize that deleting blogs with the larger All About Me
sections would cause a problem.)


The problem has been fixed.


Sorry it took so long to figure out, and please let me know if you encounter any additional problems with Journals.












 
Thanks,

Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed something when I deleted one of mine a couple weeks ago. I had some of the AOL Pictures albums in it and the prompt screen to save those was out dated. It asked me if I wanted to save the albums to You've Got Pictures instead of AOL Pictures. They were albums created when the service was called YGP. Not sure if that matters or not.

Took a screen shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steven2005/449826800/

Anonymous said...

Ever since I switched to broadband, my blog doesn't play NIN anymore.

http://journals.aol.com/monponsett/HighAboveCourtside/entries/2007/04/17/april-noreaster-the-beast-of-the-east/1741

Link to it from that if you have time... which I doubt. Methinks Joe is swamped right now.

Let me guess... Joe is now doing Joe, Jeff, and Stephanie's job? If you know anything about sports, don't let it out... they'll try to make you host SBL or something.

Anonymous said...

Monponsett -- if you're not hearing your embedded MP3 play at start and you're using the DYNSRC attribute, it's probably an IE7.0 thing. See my entry about it here: http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/12/18/fix-problems-hearing-music-in-blog-entries-using-ie-7.0/1861

I'm not going to get into personnel stuff, but I'm not a product manager (and I don't want to be one -- they have to, like, work), and they'll find someone to succeed Stephanie. -- Joe (posted & mailed)