Monday, April 23, 2007

Bard's Birthday and Bird Barriers

(Ah, alliteration: The first and best refuge for the hack writer.)

Today being April 23, it's the estimated birthday (as well as death day) of the Bard, William Shakespeare.

(The primary reason why I know this? It's mentioned in Robert Heinlein's novel Friday.)

Anyway, hope you all had a pleasant and productive Earth Day yesterday. To help commemorate Earth Day, about 150 employees were out planting trees on the AOL campus during lunch today. (This was mentioned in an e-mail of the company's green campus initiatives, which will include reserved parking for hybrids and carpoolers soon.)

I had my new cameraphone on me, so I took a few pictures of the tree-planting action... however, I don't have any way to get them off the phone right now (don't ask), so I'll have to do that later on.

After I realized this, I took my cameracamera and went to see if anyone was still out digging. There weren't, but as I looked out the windows, I noticed some strange wires strung up on the ledges:


Not electrified.

They're apparently bird barriers, to keep birds from roosting and leaving their, um, legacy on the building and people below.


They could also be grappling hooks for a tiny Batman and Robin.

Looks like one of the anchors got unglued, though:


Dangly.

It's a balmy 80 degrees right now. Outside, that is. Hope things are okay where you are.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was my daughter's birthday. And I forgot it was Earth Day. <Sigh> Have a good one!!! Tawnya  P.S. Can't you email the pics to yourself?

Anonymous said...

I would rather see the birds than the barriers. These type of barriers can cause a bird to get hurt.

Anonymous said...

DaXXXX.  If your buildings were tall enough, and close enough to a body of water, I'd say shameon AOL for peregrine's need places to roost, too:)  (Otherwise, sounds good.)  Belated happy earth day.

Anonymous said...

OH, I thought those were electrically charged wires to keep people in.  ;o)  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Tawnya -- I don't have my data plan set up yet. I'm kind of funny that way.

Celeste -- I'm not a birder or bird expert, though the use of deterrents like screens, spikes and wires seems to be much preferred by bird groups over poisons and pesticides, etc.

Thanks -- Joe