Thursday, June 5, 2008

Some Inspiration

It is a very busy time for me so I have suspended some of my coaching entries and challenges and opted for keeping my blog going with inspiration, humor and interesting tid bits.


Fathers day is upon us soon and it has me reflecting on my own father.  He was a "character" in the true sense of the word.  As I grew I learned to admire the amazing individual that I was blessed to call Dad.  He found this poem one day and shared it with me.  He told me it was something I should learn to live up to.  I thought his words were wise, so I share this poem now with you.


                             darkandgothic-mirror.jpg dark gothic creative mirrors man image by bucielo



The Man In The Glass


by Dale Wimbrow


When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isnt your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum
And think you’re a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.

He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a simple truth told in such a wonderful way! Thank you for sharing it with us
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Love the poem....thanks for sharing.

I wonder if you can help me.  At my classmates request, I created a blog for them called The Lantern on our Journals....It came out great and I got a wonderful response back but the problem is people that are not on AOL must create a username and password.

I'm getting emails that what are they doing wrong that they plug in the information and it bounces back saying error messages????  I don't know what they are seeing because I'm on AOL for my browser.  Why is it so difficult to do this simple step.  Any ideas???????????
Thanks
http://journals.aol.com/rjsisti/roses-are-read/
Rose  

Anonymous said...

Your dad "got it", didn't he? I can see you get it as well and so do I. Inspiring poem....alice
ttp://journals.aol.com/gitterdunna/walking-through-this-life/

Anonymous said...

that is an awesome poem; I think I'm going to print it out to share with my hubby this Father's Day

take care of yourself, Rosemary

betty

Anonymous said...

Interesting poem.  Yes, in the end, it will be only oneself left looking in the mirror, and only oneself who will truly know about what he/she has gone on in his/her life.  I mean only you and God will know the true you.    

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Your Dad had to be a wise man.
My dad wrote this and put it on my fridge;
Don't say anythhing if you can't improve the silence.
I love that!!
connie

Anonymous said...

I loved that poem!!  Your dad is very smart and good at writing. My councilor just said to me on tuesday. That you are your hardest critic. She is right!!...love, Christine

Anonymous said...

What a great poem Rosemary.  Your dad sounds like a very wise man.  
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry!  Enjoy the rest of your week and the upcoming weekend.
Missie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Excellent poem!!!  

It brings to mind that quote from Shakespeare, "To thine own self be true".  

Pen

Anonymous said...

The "Man in the Glass" poem you have quoted incorrectly is not at all anonymous.

http://www.theguyintheglass.com/