Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Cleared: Journals Outage, 8/9 (Updated 8/11)

Hi folks...as most of you are aware, we had a Journals outage this morning. What happened is that when a Journal owner went to go view or edit their own Journal, they couldn't see it. (At first, it was a big blank space; later, you might have gotten a server error of some type.)

I posted info in a Journals Message Board entry: Your Journal didn't go anywhere -- you could see other people's Journals, and you could even see your own (in most cases), if you used an external Web browser that wasn't signed in (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, etc.)

The problem should be resolved now. I will edit this Journal entry when the tech folks tell me what happened.

[Edited, 8/11: Okay, so the tech folks say that the Journals Edit servers, which let you, as Journal owners, edit your Journals,  were temporarily "misplaced" because of a configuration change. 

This meant that the edit servers were still there, but the other machines didn't know where they "went," so the functions that are reserved for Journals owners weren't available. This explains why you weren't able to see your Journals, but you could still see other people's Journals.

From start to finish, the whole outage was just under 2 hours, though the core of the outage, where everyone was affected, was probably about an hour -- the rest of the time, the changes caused by the initial problem, and later the fix, were gradually flowing through the system.]

Generally speaking, if there's a Journals outage, you can go to the Journals Message Boards for more info.  Obviously, if there's a outage, I can't use this blog to tell you about it [Another 8/11 Edit: I am working on some kind of status widget for the Journals main page, where you can go for more information when something happens -- I will let you know when that goes up.]....Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks -- Joe

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe is it possible to link the Journal boards on the http://peopleconnection.aol.com/ for easy access?
Betty

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I can check, though it probably makes more sense to leave it on Journals main since it's 100% blog stuff (right now it's in the very lower right corner "Post a Link and Talk to Other Journalers" -- I will try to find a better spot); if you're looking for easier access, try adding it to your My Boards area -- just click the link that says "Add to My Boards."

I will also look into doing some kind of AOL Journals status widget on Journals main -- like maybe with a red light or green light showing the current status.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information in your journal.  
Love journaling....couldn't do without it.  Glad I was working when they went down.  Then I didn't know about it.  LOL.
Enjoyed the "feed" entry.  I learned more and will come back here to your journal, when ready to do it.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

This is why I try to sleep late.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your help. I was flipping out! What would we do without you?
Vickey

Anonymous said...

I know this is a little late, but thanx for the post on the board.  It saved my sanity, I remembered when we had that chinese font on our journals, you posted on the board about it.  So I went there this time to check and you don't know how happy I was.

Anonymous said...

Ya, I saw that !  Freaked out for awhile and squirmed in my chair but waited.  Glad it was resolved!

Anonymous said...

i have had 2 incidents where my journal entry disappeared when i have tried to save it...i lost hours of time and thought....

what happened?  is the work saved somewhere or gone?  

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggiemcquire...unfortunately, if you lose an entry while you're authoring it, it's gone. We're working on a way to save drafts for later in the year.

In the meantime, what I typically do for a long entry is either write it in one of my Test Journals (so I can save it as I go along), or write it in a text document (like in AOL, notepad, or Microsoft Word -- that way, I always have a local copy archived).  Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Now listen to this. I once created a journal, then wanted to delete some entries but couldn't. Ended up with deleting the whole journal and creating a new one.
And then, when I attempted to send links to my friends I found out I couldn't.
I mean I couldn't send it to all of them at once, even separating by commas as suggested. Having "Persistence" in my middle name or it's where it should be anyway, I went on sending links to one at a time. It sucked but I succeeded. Oh joy.  If anybody wants to visit my journal, here it is:
http://journals.aol.com/pinaOcolada/Abitofeverything