Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Playing Favorites and Popping Windows


Hi folks...as some of you have already noticed,
the tech
guys rolled out a favicon for Journals yesterday: Journals Favicon



A favicon is a little 16x16 icon that shows up in your URL bar, bookmarks
menu and other locations (depending on your particular Web
browser).



Here's the Wikipedia entry on
favicons
, if you want the gory
details.

Oh, and
as I'm writing this, I realize that I can give you a useful tidbit: If
you want your blog's hyperlinks to pop open in a new
window, use this link
syntax (this presupposes that you know a little bit about handcoding
hyperlinks
using HTML):

 <a target="_blank"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon">Wikipedia entry on
favicons.</a>



The target="_blank" bit tells the Web browser to
open the link in a new
window.  It's useful if you're sending people off your blog,
though I wouldn't recommend using it for links
within your blog -- your
browser's forward/back buttons should be good enough for
that.


One note of caution: The Journals text
entry field can be a little
finicky when you're entering raw HTML for hyperlinks (which is why I
put
the target in front of the href -- it just seems to work better that
way). 



If you play around with HTML, you might want to work in a
plain text editor, so you can save your work as you go along, and go
back as needed.


Talk to you later. -- Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, but I am just a dumb bunny and don't really understand the techno speak
Julie~ http://journals.aol.com/joolsinwa/randommusingsofmymind

Anonymous said...

I have always put target=blank after the '' at the end and then replaced the "" works good for me.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it either...~ lori