Wednesday, September 5, 2007

R13 Release Successfully Installed

Hi folks -- as mentioned yesterday, the Journals R13 Release was successfully installed last night. No major glitches were encountered.

A couple folks have mentioned random problems (can't comment, can't access Journals), but they don't appear to be related to the install -- if you are seeing any weirdness, please try clearing your browser cache and footprint and restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, or you are experiencing any other Journals problems, please let me know.

There are the usual behind-the-scenes adjustments, setting up for future work and bug fixes, but for regular users, R13 basically adjusts the comments layout and gives us embedded polls (US users only, sorry).

The polls are pretty straightforward -- do you think I need to do a tutorial?

Here's a suggestion -- if you do a poll, leave a link in the comments, and also tag it with .

Thanks -- Joe

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, I tried a Poll

http://journals.aol.com/stupidsheetguy/practice-journal/entries/2007/09/06/trying-a-poll/1803

Anonymous said...

I have found that I can create the poll on my AOL.com test journal, and later copy and paste the entry to my AOL.ca international journal, and it works fine. That is true of many of the features that international users do not yet enjoy.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/
Like all good internet polls, mine features a "pie" option.

Anonymous said...

Paul -- yes, this is correct -- if you're comfortable working with iframes, you can do this, but until polls gets localized, it's not going to be in the UI.

Other options including using third-party poll providers -- if you find any that need to be added to the whitelist, let me know.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

did one

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is something that is just happening to me (I'm about to go and do all the normal "fix it" things), but Ive noticed that if you try to type a word that has a single apostrophe in it (such as the dont and Im and Ive in this post), it takes you to a quick search. The only way to get these words in comments (at least for me) is to type them without the punctuation, then right click on the "spelling mistake" and select the word with the apostrophe in it. Not a huge deal, but for a touch typist it is annoying as I keep forgetting to NOT type it. That is the problem with those words that you type so often they are automatic <LOL>

Anonymous said...

Joe,
  No working with iFrames was necessary. I simply copied the entry from the text entry box on my test journal, and pasted it to the text entry box of my main journal. Didn't even go into html mode. Worked like a peach.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Astaryth -- You're using the Firefox browser, right? The apostrophe (or single quote: ')  key is a Firefox shortcut that brings up the text search -- however, it should only happen when you're not in an editable text field.

I did a search on "firefox apostrophe bug" and one site that came up was this, with some suggestions: http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/firefox_apostrophe_bug.php

You might want to check around -- also, download the most recent version and see if that helps.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)