Friday, March 28, 2008

Guest Editor Picks - 3/28/08


Hi, I'm Dorn, president of the Dust Bunny Club of North
America.
 and this
week's AOL Journals Guest Editor. 
Briefly, I have
been blogging on AOL
for just over 4 years (my first blog, Dust Bunny Club, celebrated it's 4th
Anniversary on March 18th).  My mom has always urged me to
write some of my stories down so this is for her.  Its also
the closest to a letter anyone in my family will ever get so they all
read it as well.


I have been married
for 24 years to a retired soldier whom I lovingly refer to as Dickidoo, 'because his stomach
sticks out further than his.... ', well, you get the picture. 
We have 5 children, the OompasGabe, the oldest, is the father of my two
grand babies, and is
currently serving his second tour in Iraq.  (Be safe Gabe!)  The Oompas and I share a journal
written for him:  Letters To Gabe.  Thanks to
the wonders of modern technology, even in a war zone, our soldiers can
still keep in touch with their loved ones here in the states through
the Internet and we
hear from him often.  The other Oompas are here at home with
me, Zack, Art,
Becca and
Rocky.  They are, among other things, my inspiration and
exasperation... No, wait, Dickidoo is my exasperation.  What
ever, I've got it all!


I am a
reader.  I love to read.  I used to be able to finish
novels in one sitting.  Now days I don't have time for the
newspaper let alone a novel, although I did manage to squeeze in a
Nelson Demille
hardback this week, amazing writer!  I think I have Attention
Deficit Reading Disorder, or ADRD.  If I can't read the whole story
in 2 minutes flat then it ain't gonna happen!  Journals, or blogs are perfect. 
They are short, informative and very entertaining.  My
'Favorite Journals' list on my desktop is over a hundred urls long, and
growing.  I love going to the Blogs home screen and browsing
through the recently updated entries for new blogs.  Here are
a two of my most recent discoveries.


 Rick Minerd - Life Is A
Jukebox
 :  Retired Police Chief, Former Deputy
Sheriff, Former Broadcaster, Car Guy.  He sounds like the main
character of a 70's television Cop mini series.  He writes
like a script writer for a 70's television Cop mini series. 
He's witty, and at times sensitive, but most of all, he's
interesting.  I had never heard of most of the radio stations
or broadcasters but found myself clicking from entry to
entry.  Wolfman Jack, yeah, I remember
him!


 my brain is in
pain
 :  Its like Colbert and Jon Stewart
rolled into one.  The guy is funny, and random.  But
don't stop there, cos he makes sense too.


And now for
a  couple of old favorites.


 This simple housewifes contribution to the
world
 :  Jill Marie is the complete opposite
of me, organized, clean, sweet and intelligent with all her helpful
household tips.  She makes motherhood sound
appealing.  She could be the Mother of the Year. In
fact I think I shall name her Dust Bunny Club Mother of the
Year.  I would love to be just like her when I grow up, if I
didn't  already know how much hard work it
would involve.


 The Hadonfield Myers
Experience
 : Wait, can it be?  Yes, it is a
blogging dad... with
teenagers!  Parenting blogs written by parents of teenagers are hard to
come by, probably because the parents are too busy doing damage control
to have time to blog,
and yet here is a humorous, well written one that inspires other weary
parents and comforts them in the thought that they are not
alone.


Lastly, and not just
because it's my husband's blog (even though I make the posts cos he's even
more of a computer idiot than I am)... its mostly because he's a darn
good photographer:


 PAPARRAZI BY
PROXY
 :  Okay, so his name isn't really
Dickidoo, I just call
him that cos it bugs him... Steve has taken some amazing
pictures.  His job on a military installation gets him up
close and personal to many different species of wild life as well as
some in the proximity of our military in action.  Yes, I will
admit to a little rivalry and maybe just a little teenie tiny bit of jealousy
but there's no denying the guy has an eye! (or maybe he's just
lucky!)  I'lllet you be the judge of that.  This of
course leads up to a blatant plug of yet another of my blogs: Through The Eyes Of The
Beholder
(that's me!)


I hope you enjoy
these blogs as much
as I have, and if you haven't already done so, stop by the Dust Bunny
Club where I'm giving away free Dust Bunnies in celebration of my 4 Year
Anniversary!


Dorn~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome as always, Jody!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Nice picks....your are one of my favorites.  Congratulations :).
Betty

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being Guest Editor this week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these!  I visited!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being "Guest Editor" I will stop by and say hello

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!  Well deserved! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being chosen as Guest Editor Dorn. These are all brand new to me, so I will look forward to stopping by and wishing them all well, just shortly. Love Pam xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pamal3/almost-40/

Anonymous said...

I have been to a number of these journals but was uanble to get Dust Bunny Club of North America to come up beyond a little graphic up in the corner, so I don't know what is going on there.  Every other blog came up fine.  I enjoyed your entry and description of your journal activities as well as your descriptions of the others.  I put the photo journals on my list of favorites, but I am curious about Dust Bunn Club of North America!  Gerry  http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

Dorn - Super Congrats!
Happy Blog Anniversary!
It's a pleasure to visit your J-Homes!
Thanks for sharing!
_rRose
http://journals.aol.com/rrveh1/WAIT-NOTYET-/




Anonymous said...

My Dear, thank you so much for the honor. It is greatly appreaciated.
Your right about the no time with teenagers....
The only way I get to blogg, is if I only get 2.5 hours of sleep a night....
he he he ....
But its worth it............
Thank you again....
And may I say, I have loved reading your journal as well over the years.
J Land is a great community......
They have always made me feel welcomed and safe and loved...
I think we have alot of special people here...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, so the June Cleaver mask works?  LOL  Ohmahgosh..."organized, clean, sweet and intelligent "...(((looking behind me and all around)))  Are you sure you've got the right person?  LOL

Okay, maybe the organized and clean part fits into my anal retentive thought patterns...but both sweet and intelligent?  Hm, I'm thinking you haven't ever stopped by when I've gone off on one of my rants.  LOL  

I am so pleased and honored to be one of your choices this week.  Thank you so much.  And if you happen to run out of Dust Bunnies for your free give away...give me a call.  I'm sure I can spare a few.  

Anonymous said...

cool Dorn! :):)
thanks a ton!
natalie

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dorn....great entry. It's hard to believe four years have passed I think mine comes up in June...keep on writing, we will keep on reading and laughing..l.ove Sandi

Anonymous said...

h